Hi Nireeka, Max, .....
in your IGG update "Shipping #10" from 23th July 2019 you informed us, your valued customers, on the status of the second EU shipment (the one you shipped with estimate arrival date in May and then revised afterwards as "not shipped", but in "shipping process").
I understood from your last update that you want to collect VAT & customs from your beloved customers before you process this shipment further and on its way to Europe.
I'm one of your "well treated customers" who paid my dues in April 2019 when I was incorrectly put under the illusion that my bike is ready for custom clearance. Since then I learnt my bike is still 1000 miles away from a custom clearance.
While I understand that you don't want to pay VAT & taxes for outstanding people (btw. many claiming on Facebook that they never received your notification), I wonder how long you want to hold back on those customers, who did their payment already ?
1. Do you want to wait until 100% of the outstanding payments are done before you get the container on its way to Europe ?
2. Is there a time limit you have set for yourself before you get a plan B in place and get those bikes shipped where payments are done ?
3. Any option for me to get my bike out of the EUC2 container and shipped individually (of course I would cover the extra costs!) ?
4. How can I be sure my money you collected from me for my VAT and customs is still available at the time when custom clearance becomes a reality ?
and finally - I assume that there is none of the improvements (frame protection, etc.) made in the meantime applied to the bikes already packed in EUC2. Is this assumption correct ?
Many thanks in advance for a reliable answer,